Happy start of a new school year! What’s everyone excited about learning in the upcoming weeks and months? We don’t mean students (though they’ll be doing plenty of learning, too)—we mean YOU: the dedicated and passionate team members who make up school nutrition programs. A new school year is the perfect time to consider your approach to professional development, and this issue of School Nutrition has the insight you need into how you can maximize the full potential of your training initiatives.
Consider such important topics as different training opportunities available through modern technology, or the resources and tools available through SNF’s LEAD to Succeed™ program. We’re exploring all of it so you can offer your teams the opportunity to learn and grow in a way that makes them feel both excited and empowered.
Here’s what you can expect to find in the September/October issue:
- Training Your Talented Teams Today: We all want to provide our teams with professional development opportunities—it’s just good business practice. In the past, supervisors and directors had to rely on in-person, real-time formats, but modern technology now makes it possible to offer your people ways to learn and grow from anywhere, at any time, and in a way that suits any learning style.
- Teaching and Reaching Adult Learners: When it comes to adult learning, your approach needs to be much bigger than simply considering different learning styles (such as auditory, visual, and kinesthetic). Instead, you want to focus on adult learning principles: ways of making the information you’re relaying relevant, relatable, and applicable. Here’s an in-depth look at how you can keep adult learners engaged and enthusiastic about the information you’re imparting on them.
- Train Smarter, Not Harder: Not all training methods are created equal. Some, you’ll quickly discover, are more effective than others. And after working with many team members at many points in their professional development, SNF’s Cadre of Trainers has insight into ways you can approach training so that you—and your team—get the most out of it.
- Are You Ready to LEAD to Succeed™?: Considering school nutrition is such a complex (and continually evolving) segment of foodservice, you might often find yourself wondering how you’re supposed to keep up. But LEAD to Succeed™ offers you the resources and tools you need, all at no cost. We’re laying out eight facts you should know about this initiative so you can take advantage of all that’s available to you.
- Food Focus: Paradise Found: The tropical taste of Hawaiian cuisine offers tremendous variety both in terms of flavor and nutrition. With influences from all around the world, Hawaiian cuisine gives you all kinds of exciting dishes you can adapt for your cafeteria to showcase fresh fruits, vegetables, and protein sources.