Dr. Ashley K. Powell is a registered and licensed dietitian and currently serves as the Child Nutrition Director for Auburn (Ala.) City Schools. She holds a Bachelor of Science in dietetics and a Master of Education in health promotion from Auburn University. She completed her Ed.S. from the University of Georgia and her Ph.D. from Auburn University in adult education. Dr. Powell holds her School Nutrition Specialist credential from the School Nutrition Association. In 2022, she was named a fellow for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
In her current position, Dr. Powell is responsible for the overall foodservice operations of the school district while following all the federal, state and local nutrition and food safety guidelines. In previous positions, she has served as a family and consumer sciences teacher, school nutrition coordinator, as well as a renal dietitian.
Dr. Powell has served as the Alabama School Nutrition Association President, President-elect, and Vice President. She was the 2017 ASNA Director of the Year. She is the past chair for the SNA Professional Development committee and current SNA board director.
She and her husband reside in Auburn and have three children who all eat school lunch.
What Do You Bring to the Role: As a dietitian, Ashley worked in dialysis as her first job before child nutrition. Additionally, worked as intern in kitchen as well as kitchen manager, taught middle school family and consumer sciences for three years, and has a teaching certificate
Education: Auburn University (PhD, MEd, BS) Georgia State (Dietetic Internship)
Other Memberships or Affiliations
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (current), SNS DPG
- Auburn District Dietetic Association President-elect (2019), President (2020), School Nutrition DPG Membership Committee Chair (2021), ALDA Finance Committee (2020-21)
- National School Nutrition Association (2003-current) Professional Development Committee (Chair 2019-21), USDA Grant Writing Committee, Lead to Succeed Committee (2019), Scholarship Committee (2019-21), Southeast Regional Director (2021-present), Future Leader (2013)
- Alabama School Nutrition Association (2008-present) Nominating Chair, Awards/Scholarships Chair, Leadership Delegate, Vice-president, President- elect, President 2019, Past-President 2020
- Dietetic Preceptor: University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama State Department of
- Education, Auburn University, Samford University (2009-present)
- Alabama Statewide School Procurement Committee- Co-chair and Chair (2010-present)
- Alabama Alliance for Healthier Generation
- Alabama Agriculture—Farm to School Committee
- Auburn City Schools FACS Advisory Board
- Auburn City Schools COVID Council 2020
- Distinguished Young Women Board of Directors for Lee County (2011-Co Chair 2020-present)
- Auburn University Dietetics Advisory Board (2003-2006)
- Parkway Preschool Board—Vice-chair (2018- current)
- Parkway Baptist Church—Children’s Ministry Board (current)
- Alabama Food Service and Nutrition Expo Board (2016-current, Treasurer 2019-20)
- Auburn City Schools Administrative Council (2008-current)
What You Do in Your Free Time: Teach youth group, volunteer with DYW, spend lots of time with family and kids’ activities