Dr. Shahzad Mustafa is a board-certified pediatric allergist and Chair of the Medical Advisory Board for Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Team (FAACT). Dr. Mustafa began the presentation with some important basic information about food allergies, including what school nutrition experts need to know about how to identify a reaction and intervene on behalf an allergic individual. Research has shown that children with food allergies and their families suffer from high levels of anxiety, which contribute to significantly lower quality of life. There are many contributors to this issue and in this webinar Dr. Mustafa shared how school personnel, including school nutrition professionals, can help support strategies to improve quality of life for those with food allergies.
Successful completion of the webinar and quiz is awarded 1 SNA CEU.
- Explain the basics about food allergies, including signs and symptoms of a food allergy reaction and take steps to assist an allergic individual.
- Discuss the impact of food allergies on quality of life for those with this condition.
- Recommend and implement strategies to help improve the quality of life for those with food allergies.
- CEUs: 1.00
- Key Area 1000: Nutrition
- Key Topic 1100: Menu Planning
- Subtopic 1160: Food Allergies
CPEUs for RDNs and NDTRs
CPEUs can no longer be credited due to the age of the course. For more information, refer to Section 175 of the Continuing Professional Education Provider Accreditation Program Handbook.
S Shahzad Mustafa, MD
Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Rochester Regional Health System
Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry