Additional Onions and Garlic Recipe
Spicy Black Bean and Brown Rice
YIELD: 25 servings
- Water—3 qts. + 1 1/2 cups
- Salt—1 Tbsp.
- Rice, brown, long-grain—1 1/2 qts.
- Onion, red—1 large, as purchased
- Peppers, green, fresh—3 large, as purchased
- Peppers, red, fresh—3 large, as purchased
- Garlic cloves, fresh—2 bulbs, as purchased
- Cayenne pepper—1/2 tsp.
- Chili powder—4 Tbsps.
- Olive oil—3/4 cup
- Corn, defrosted—3 lbs. + 2 ozs.
- Black beans, canned, rinsed—3 lbs. + 2 ozs.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil.
- Add the rice and stir to thoroughly combine with the water. Cover and cook on low for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from heat, covered, until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Wash, peel, dice and reserve the onion. Wash, trim, dice and reserve the green peppers. Wash, peel, trim, slice and reserve the garlic cloves.
- Heat a small tilting skillet, and add the olive oil, onion, green peppers, red peppers, garlic, cayenne pepper and chili powder. Sauté until the onions and peppers are slightly softened; cover for 1 minute.
- Add the corn and black beans to the onions/peppers mixture and cook while stirring until heated through, about 3-4 minutes, covering when necessary.
- Add the rice and incorporate by folding into the onions/peppers mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Serve or hold for service.
*Note: Each serving provides 2 ozs. equivalent meat/meat alternate, 1 3/4 ozs. equivalent grain and 1/4 cup starchy vegetable.
Recipe modified by: Michael McEvoy, CEC, school nutrition program manager, Peachtree Ridge High School, Suwanee, Ga.
Original recipe: Kellogg’s Food Away From Home (See page 76 of the April 2013 print edition of School Nutrition.)