June/July 2012: Workplace Bullying Resources
In the article “Putting an End to Workplace Bullying” in the June/July 2012 issue of School Nutrition, author Mark Ward, Sr., PhD, explored strategies for managers and employees for coping with bullying in the work environment. If you are interested in following up on this topic and would like to read more of the research mentioned in the article, following is a list of the studies and information referenced.
- Babcock, P. (2011). Study probes bullying of HR professionals. Retrieved April 22, 2012, from www.shrm.org.
- Daniel, T. A. (2009). Stop bullying at work: Strategies and tools for HR and legal professionals. Alexandria, VA: Society for Human Resource Management.
- Hodson, R., Roscigno, V. J., & Lopez, S. H. (2006). Chaos and abuse of power: Workplace bullying in organizational and interactional context. Work and Occupations, 33, 382-416.
- Keashly, L., & Neuman, J. H. (2005). Bullying in the workplace: Its impact and management. Employee Rights and Employment Policy Journal, 8, 335-373.
- Lutgen-Sandvik, P. (2003). The communicative cycle of employee emotional abuse: Generation and regeneration of workplace mistreatment. Management Communication Quarterly, 16, 471-501.
- Lutgen-Sandvik, P., & McDermott, V. (2008). The constitution of employee-abusive organizations: A communication flows theory. Communication Theory, 18, 304-333.
- Lutgen-Sandvik, P., Namie, G., & Namie, R. (2009). Workplace bullying: Causes, consequences, and corrections. In P. Lutgen Sandvik & B. D. Sypher (Eds.), Destructive organizational communication: Processes, consequences, and constructive ways of organizing (pp. 27-52). New York: Routledge.
- Lutgen-Sandvik, P., Tracy, S. J., & Alberts, J. K. (2007). Burned by bullying in the American workplace: Prevalence, perception, degree, and impact. Journal of Management Studies, 44, 837-862.
- Meares, M., Oetzel, J., Torres, A., Derkacs, D., & Ginossar, T. (2004). Employee mistreatment and muted voices in the culturally diverse workplace. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 32, 4-27.
- Namie, G. (2003). The WBI 2003 report on abusive workplaces. Retrieved April 22, 2012, from www.workplacebullying.org/multi/pdf/N-N-2003C.pdf.
- Namie, G. (2007). Workplace Bullying Institute 2007 U.S. workplace bullying survey. Retrieved April 22, 2012, from www.workplacebullying.org/multi/pdf/WBIsurvey2007.pdf.
- Namie, G. (2010). Workplace Bullying Institute 2010 U.S. workplace bullying survey. Retrieved April 22, 2012, from www.workplacebullying.org/wbiresearch/2010-wbi-national-survey.
- Tracy, S. J., Lutgen-Sandvik, P., & Alberts, J. K. (2006). Nightmares, demons, and slaves: Exploring the painful metaphors of workplace bullying. Management Communication Quarterly, 20, 148-185.
- Workplace Bullying Institute (2012). International workplace bullying research. Retrieved April 22, 2012, from www.workplacebullying.org/wbiresearch/references.