March 2012: Bonus Carrots Recipe
Earlier this year, School Nutrition introduced a new regular Food Focus feature: “Kitchen Wisdom Says…” is a highlighted recipe that has been reviewed, modified and/or tested by members of the magazine’s new corps of “Kitchen Wisdom” volunteers. These SNA members graciously have offered School Nutrition their K-12 operational expertise on the practical preparation and application of selected recipes. The Bonus Web Content below showcases a suggested modified version of the highlighted recipe.
If you enjoy exploring new recipes, we welcome more volunteers to join the Kitchen Wisdom panel! If you are an SNA member and work in a school or district foodservice operation, contact Assistant Editor Cecily Walters, email@example.com or (800) 877-8822 ext. 142, for more information.
Orange Glazed Carrots: Modification
YIELD: 680 servings
- Carrots, frozen, sliced—140 lbs.
- Margarine, no trans fat— 3 1/2 cups
- Brown sugar, packed—4 cups
- Orange juice concentrate, frozen, thawed—5 1/4 cups
- Cornstarch—14 Tbsps.
- Nutmeg, ground—7 tsps.
- Cinnamon, ground—7 tsps.
- Steam the carrots and arrange them in 12x20x4-in. pans. This recipe would fill 9 4-in. pans or 18 2-in. pans or a combination, depending on the number of servings needed per school. We estimate 75 half-cup servings per 4-in. pan.
- To make the glaze:* Combine the margarine, brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, cornstarch, nutmeg and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir to blend. Add carrot liquid to thin as needed. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Pour 1 1/2 to 2 cups of glaze on each 4-in. pan of carrots and stir to mix.
- Cover and put the pans in hot transport carts for shipment to schools.
- Portion with a 4-oz. spoodle for 1/2-cup servings.
*Note: The glaze can be made the day before if time is an issue. It will need to be heated to liquefy before pouring on the hot carrots.
Original recipe: California Raisin Marketing Board, www.calraisins.org
Modified recipe: Debra Williams, head cook, Lewiston (Mont.) Public Schools