A local professional chef and nutrition educator from Nutrition Services visit classes of fourth and fifth graders to demonstrate and teach how to make fruits and vegetables more interesting and fun to eat. The nutritional importance of fruits and vegetables will be discussed briefly by the nutrition educator and chef.
- The students will be able to state three major or minor nutrients of importance supplied by fruits and vegetables.
- Students will gain an understanding of the importance of a variety of fruits and vegetables in their diets to improve health and help prevent disease (i.e., obesity and some cancers).
- Students will gain an understanding of the professional career options as a chef.
- Students will create simple fruit and vegetable garnishes that they may choose to eat as a part of the lesson.
- Students will practice proper sanitation, food handling and safety practices as demonstrated by the program leaders.
- 15-30 large sheets of parchment paper (to be used as desk top work areas)
- 30 plastic serrated knifes
- 30 oranges, pickles, radishes etc.. (depending on the chefs choice)
- demonstration fruits, vegetables, equipment, knives, cutting board provided by the chef.
- lots of paper towels
- bleach water cloth for cleaning
Lesson Flow: Students' desk must be cleared, sanitized (with light bleach solution) and hands freshly washed.
- The nutrition educator will begin by asking students if they like fruits and vegetables and the reasons why.
- Have students list their favorite fruits and vegetables.
- Ask students about the benefits to eating fruits and vegetables.
- Ask students what major nutrients fruits and vegetables contain.
- Next, the nutrition educator will introduce the chef and briefly explain the lesson.
- The chef will start by talking about his coat, hat and special equipment and job. Next he will show pictures or examples of fancy garnishes.
- The chef and nutrition educator will demonstrate and teach how to create a few select garnishes that students may choose to eat when finished.
- Students will assist teacher is clearing, cleaning and returning room to order.