There is no better way to encourage and teach children about food and healthy eating than letting them participate in food activities. Children who are taught early on about the importance of eating healthy foods, maintaining a healthy weight and being active are more likely to continue these practices into adulthood.
Your time is valuable but so are your kids. Spend 15 minutes making this fun snack and learn valuable nutrition education lessons together. The recipe makes 4 servings.
Vegetable Forest Ingredients
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red pepper ring
- 3 tablespoons parsley leaves
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
- 1/5 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
You Will Need:
- Cutting Board
- Sharp knife
- Serving plates
- Small mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Someone to assist and/or supervise
Planting Your Forest
- Wash hands and preparation areas with warm soapy water.
- For dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl
- Hold carrots against cutting board and trim off ends. Cut each in half, crosswise, then lengthwise to make four pieces.
- Cut red pepper ring in 4 pieces making sure there is a rib in the center of each cut piece
- Arrange plate by putting:
- 2 carrot pieces side-by-side in the center
- Arrange broccoli around carrots forming a cluster
- Place two of the red pepper (birds) in the upper corner of the plate
- Spoon dip abound the base of carrots and sprinkle with the parsley
Pass out napkins then dunk your red pepper birds, broccoli branches and carrot tree stump in the dipping sauce. Yum!
Source: Dole Fun with Fruits & Vegetables Kids Cookbook
This recipe idea is from Dole Food Company and the 5 A Day for Better Health program. Students can learn more about fruits and vegetables by visiting the Dole 5 A Day Web site as featured in Related Links. More educational activities and resources can be found on SNA's Web site in the "Education" section. See Related Links to be taken directly to this section.