The SNS Credentialing Program entails the passing of a standardized national exam. The SNS exam tests candidates on the job competencies performed and knowledge needed by a School Nutrition Specialist. The exam covers 9 Content/Knowledge Areas. The following table shows each content/knowledge area and the percentage of exam questions taken from each area:
NOTE: The current SNS exam does not include questions pertaining to the new USDA meal pattern standards.
The Certification and Credentialing Governing Council will begin updating the Menu and Nutrition Management content/knowledge area for the exam in late 2012 and the new exam reflecting the USDA final ruling will be administered beginning July 14, 2013.
1. Facilities, Technology and Equipment Management
2. Financial Management
3. Food Production and Operation Management
4. Food Security, Sanitation, & Safety
5. Human Resource Management
6. Marketing and Communication
7. Menu and Nutrition Management
8. Procurement and Inventory Management
9. Program Management and Accountability
Individuals who successfully pass the exam will be awarded the designation of School Nutrition Specialist (SNS).