The Outstanding Director of the Year Award recognizes outstanding contributions of school nutrition directors who manage effective programs that provide healthful, appetizing, and nutritious meals to students. This award is intended to recognize school nutrition directors at the district level. The person’s supervisor, staff or peers may submit nominations. Self-nominations will not be considered.
2013 national winner Angela Haney (second from right) being recognized at ANC.
This award is intended to recognize school nutrition directors at the district level. The person’s supervisor, staff or peers may submit nominations. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
The nominee must meet the following criteria:
- Director of school nutrition for at least ten years.
- Member of SNA and their state association for the past five years (District Director or Major City Director Sections).
- Served in at least one position on the state or national executive board or on an SNA national or state committee.
- Involved in their community by sharing their foodservice and nutrition knowledge and expertise.
- SNA Certified. Credentialed as a School Nutrition Specialist (SNS) is preferred.
Previous national winners of the Outstanding Director of the Year Award are no longer eligible to win this award.
To nominate a school nutrition director for the Outstanding Director of the Year Award, you must submit:
Award nomination and application forms are due by March 1, 2014 to your state association. Click here to find out where to send your form.
The nomination should be based on how well the nominee meets the following areas:
- Program Enhancement (i.e. manage staff well).
- Staff Development (i.e., leading, training, and motivating staff).
- School Involvement (i.e., promoting school foodservice programs).
- Association Involvement/Promotion (i.e., promoting the value of SNA/state association membership).
- Community Involvement (i.e., sharing foodservice and nutrition knowledge/expertise with community organizations.
State, regional and national winners are recognized at SNA’s Annual National Conference (ANC). State winners receive a certificate and a ribbon. Regional winners receive a plaque and a regional rosette. National winner receives a plaque, a rosette for the winner to wear at conference, and complimentary registration to the following year’s ANC.
For complete guidelines and instructions to apply for this award, click here.
For complete guidelines and instructions for judging this award, click here.
To view a sample national award winning early, click here.